American vs. British Smackdown: Station wagon vs. estate car

You probably know this car. It is the one with the large space in the back. In the US this car is called a station wagon. The Brits call it an estate car. The name for the car apparently stems from the car’s early use which was to transport people between train stations and its resemblance to horse-drawn wagons used for this purpose. The estate car stems from cars used to carry hunting groups on country estates.